Hang around the natural horse world and sooner or later you’ll come across the word, mycotoxins. But how many of us realise the dangers that little word holds?
Horses and ponies can be exposed to mycotoxins in pasture, as well as through forage, bedding and hard feed. Any horse no matter how well managed may be exposure to mycotoxins at one time or another, whether through toxins from fungi that live on actively growing grass of spring and summer, or those that thrive on preserved forages such as hay or haylage we feed in the autumn and winter months.
Research into mycotoxins has shown they present a real threat to the performance and health of our horses; problems commonly associated with mycotoxicoses include:
- Reduced growth rates
- Decreased appetite
- Poor performance
- Respiratory problems
- Reproductive and fertility problems
- Increased susceptibility to disease
- Brain lesions
- Neurological disorders
- Organ damage – especially liver, kidneys
While legislation protects us humans by limiting the amount of mycotoxins allowed into the human food chain, shockingly there is currently no enforcement of mycotoxin limits in any form of animal feed, ANYWHERE.
The inconvenient truth is that while we do all we can to provide the very best feed and forage for our horses sooner or later they will be exposed to these natural toxins. It is to that end that Mycosorb has been developed.
Mycosorb is a cracked cell, modified yeast culture whose sole purpose is to absorb and bind mycotoxins ingested by your horse from the environment and feed and to safely transport them out the body via excretion. It will not bond to healthy bacteria, or effect the abortion of vitamins and minerals its only purpose is trap mycotoxins and prevent them from being absorbed by your horse’s gastrointestinal tract.