Creating and maintaining a smooth surface around the edge of the hoof wall free from flairs helps prevent splits and discourages flares developing that weaken the hoof. The Hoof Buffer Original has been designed to flex so that these unevenness and rough surfaces can be quickly softened and smoothed. This flexion evens out ridges and irregularities, blending all aspects of the wall into a uniform contour.
The Hoof Buffer Original has a replaceable flexible sanding belt and has been designed so that, unlike ridged steel rasps, the belt will flex slightly when applied to the edge of the hoof wall. This action allows you to create the smoothest surface possible when rounding the perimeter of the wall while the hard back of the handle can be used to apply more firm pressure when sanding cracks and chips in the wall surface.
Every Hoof Buffer comes with a wrench for adjusting the tension and a spare sanding belt. The belt can be loosened and rotated when signs of wear are showing to enable the entire belt surface to be used in full before requiring replacing. Additional replacement sanding belts are also available.
Advantages of the Hoof Buffer Original:
- Flex’s light to the meet the natural curve of a hoof;
- Less aggressive abrasion of the exterior hoof wall than using steel rasps;
- Uniform removal of hoof ridges and flare;
- Fine buffed finish when sanding that does not require additional refinement;
- Surface lasts longer than sanding blocks as it can be rotated to extend use;
- Varying levels of firmness applied depending on the side of the buffer used.
Detailed instructions of using the Radius Rasps and the Hoof Buffer can be found via this link.